Friday, June 17, 2011

What I Know Now

What I Know Now
Letters to My Younger Self  Genre:  Informational
Edited By Ellyn Spragins
Letters By 41 Wise and Famous Women


     This book is all about earthly advice and individual letters of hard lessons learned in the 41 lives gathered in this book.  Ellyn Spragins organized the famous women to write a letter of the best information, that they have learned through the years to share with others.  The women are from age from 18 to 75.  The letters vary in people and their careers.  There are fashion designers, actresses, authors, poets, singers, olympians, newscasters, inspirational speakers, and business women.  (I would have liked Ellyn to have utilized a vivacious teacher in that list!)  One of my favorites is the letter from Maya Angelou.  Her famous quote from the book is, "Don't let anybody raise you.  You've been raised."  She also shares that when the world had knocked her down, she was able to go home and have her mother pamper her, giving her courage to go back again.  This reminded me of going to visit my daughter at college this school year.  On my arrival, I was able to "scoop her up," take her places, and share with her some tantalizing food.  Our college time visits were endless adventures from dawn until dusk.  
     I enjoyed reading this book.  Some of the women sharing are better writers than others.  Ellyn Spragins writes an introduction and acknowledgment at the beginning of the book.  I really like her style of writing and am going to be looking for more!





No comments:

Post a Comment